Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Frittatas and why they're a waste of time

I've been wanting to make a frittata for a long time. It just seems like a good thing to know how to make. It has a cool name, and seems sort of fancy, but it's still simple enough for someone like moi. I've heard they're super easy to make and absolutely delicious. So, that's what we had for dinner a couple days ago. Let me just say, yes, it's not that difficult, but I think the results are not worth the effort. I was sadly unimpressed.

You start with cooking a variety of veggies in a skillet with butter. Once they're cooked you pour the egg and cheese mixture over the veggies (I used ricotta), make sure the egg soaks through the cracks to the bottom of the pan, and then you let it cook. Once it's mostly set you can pop the skillet into the oven and let it finish cooking.

I will say that it looked beautiful coming out of the oven (too beautiful to stop and photograph before eating it all up) but that's kind of all it had going for it.

Here's why:

- cleaning eggs off of a skillet is one of the most unpleasant tasks I've undertaken. I find it so gross. I always cook eggs in a non-stick pan, which wouldn't work with this recipe, since the handle would melt in the oven. Our eggy pan is still sitting on the counter two days later "soaking". I just can't bring my self to clean it.

- this recipe would have been just as delightful, but worth the shortened cooking time, had I just scrambled the eggs right into the veggie mixture. That's the way to do it; it's so much simpler. And that way you can use a non-stick skillet! I will happily promote a Scrambled Frittata.

- the skillet in the oven... fun, but risky. I told myself a hundred times not to touch the handle when I took it out. I did listen to myself, and I used a pot-holder to remove it from the oven, but once the frittata had cooled enough to dish up, I guess I just assumed the pan had cooled too. I grabbed the handle like an idiot. It miraculously did no damage, though, so here's my burn remedy tip: If you burn your whole hand, which I did, hold onto a glass of ice water for 10-15 minutes. I was shocked that I had no pain or visible burn marks after doing that. I usually run it under cold water for a minute and then I get curious and want to see the damage. Don't give in. Just ice it until your hand hurts from the cold. I seriously thought my whole hand would be burnt and blistered because of how red it was and how it was stinging when I finally let go of the ice, but it was just probably bordering on frostbite, haha.

- wasted egg. I sprayed the pan with cooking spray, and I used butter for cooking the veggies, but eggs are relentless. They WILL stick. We enjoyed about 90% of our frittata, but the sides and edges of the pan just wouldn't give up the eggs nearest them. Such a waste.

All that said, I just might be doing this all wrong. I had read a bunch of recipes, and followed what I assumed was proper frittata technique, but i could be way off.

Someone please let me know if I'm missing some huge aspect of frittata-making. I wouldn't mind being reconciled.


2 comments:

  1. All I know about frittatas is that Ruth's Diner does one with feta and tomatoes and basil and it is pure bliss. Next to the early bird special it is my favourite thing to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ice water in a glass tip for a burned hand -- thanks for that! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete