Monday, June 08, 2009

a strange encounter

there i stood at the counter, ready to purchase my goods, when the following conversation took place behind me:

"um, excuse me... is your name chris*"
"yeah..."
"hi, i read your wife's blog."
"oh! uh... great..."
"yeah, you guys have such an adorable family! i was just looking at pictures of your kids this morning. Lilly* was running through the sprinklers, SO cute! and your wife seriously has the most beautiful eyes!"
"yeah, she really does."
"my name's janet* by the way. it's so good to meet you!" (extends the hand for a handshake, which chris takes, very awkwardly)

at this point i smiled... well, laughed. out loud to myself. i don't think they heard. 

is it just me? is this weird? a little creepy? i mean, we all read random people's blogs, but to recognize and talk to a random person about their personal life just kind makes me feel squirmy inside. i guess this is the world we're moving into and there's probably not much to be done about it. maybe people like it? i guess it lets them feel like a bit of a celebrity for a bit, right? 

hm. 

right. 

*names have been changed to prevent embarrassment 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/09/2009

    That's so funny! And awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Oh my gosh, that IS creepy!

    ReplyDelete