Friday, August 03, 2012

Accidental soup

I was making tortellini soup last night. I had the garlic and onion browning nicely on the stove, and then I added the can of diced tomatoes... with chilies. Oops. I sort of freaked out for a minute, and then I realized I could transform it into some sort of Mexican-style soup, the likes of which I've never made. I had leftover taco stuff in the fridge, so put the tortellini back in the freezer and took out the already-seasoned shredded chicken and rice, instead. Oh my goodness, easiest thing I ever have made. It was just broth, tomatoes with chilies, onion, garlic, and my leftovers! I did add a little chopped spinach at the last minute, as an ode to the tortellini soup.

It was amazing. We had some too-small-to-be-any-good tortilla chips, and a bit of feta (which works great in place of cojita), and I added Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Luckily we also had a lime, which added a perfect final touch. I may make this every time we have leftovers from tacos in the future, on purpose. Definitely a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment