Monday, July 30, 2012

Vegetables and my obsession with sharp knives

I'm trying to make our diet more vegetable-based, which can be tricky for us. Things seem to go bad before we can get to them, or we just get busy and a sammich ends up being the easiest option for dinner. That's right, sammich. I made the most delicious vegetable thing today (I really don't know what to call it) and it might become a regular in this house. My mom made something similar a few months ago, and she got the recipe from Pinterest. I actually have the recipe pinned in my account, but I couldn't find it today (phone was slow, and pics refused to load. Lame). So I winged it (wung it? Ha) and it was lovely. I also decided to serve it over pasta, instead of as a side-dish. So so good!

So here she is. Enjoy another one of my vague recipes.

Roasted & Sautéed Vegetables over Angel Hair

*serves two - I made this in a little 8"x6" dish, so double it and use a bigger dish if you're feeding more than two.

- Preheat oven to 350°F

2 T butter
1 little yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 1/2 little zucchinis, sliced in rounds
2 Italian yellow squash, sliced in rounds
1-2 big Roma tomatoes, sliced in rounds
A sprinkle of thyme
Salt & pepper to your liking
A light sprinkle of grated Mozzarella Cheese
An even lighter sprinkle of grated Parmesan Cheese
Enough pasta for two people

Melt the butter in a skillet. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms, salt and pepper to your heart's content, and sauté until tender. (Mushrooms sautéed in butter are one of my favorite things on the planet). Slice the squash, zucchini, and tomatoes as thinly as you dare. Once the butter-onion-garlic-mushroom mix is cooked, spread it out in the bottom of a baking dish. Layer the other veggies vertically on top of the onions - randomly or in any fancy order you'd like, if you're a bit OCD like me. (See the picture for a reference). Once the pan is full, sprinkle the veggies with a pinch or two of thyme (I literally used two pinches) and with a light sprinkle of each of the cheeses. Bake until the veggies are tender (it took about 35-40 minutes for mine), and serve over whole wheat angel hair, because white pasta's a waste of your time.

This is a perfect meal if you love veggies and chopping them. I have the greatest, sharp knives (thanks Andrew and Janelle for an amazing wedding gift!), and I am addicted to slicing, chopping, and dicing. Forget the convenience of a food-processor or chopper, I could chop by hand (with a sharp knife) all day. I just love it, and dull knives have become a pet peeve of mine. Anyway, this meal is delightful. That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment