Monday, April 16, 2012

Cold Porridge

Have you tried this yet? It's amazing!

I was introduced to cold porridge (or overnight oats, summer oatmeal, fridge porridge) over Conference weekend by my mama. I was super hesitant at fist when I saw six pint-sized jars sitting out on her counter filled with what looked like a big old mess. Kimball chose one and starting eating it. I was sure he was just being polite as he gobbled it down, but when I asked if he liked it, his eyes opened up very wide, and his face turned very serious as he nodded, and said, "oh my goodness, yes." so I grabbed one too, since we tend to like the same things, and I trust his judgment on food, and dang! He was so right!

Here's how you make them:

Get a little mason jar (I wouldn't go smaller than about 16 ounces, or 500 mL)

Add the following:
- rolled oats (not instant or quick oats) - about 1/4
- a dollop of Greek yogurt
- a few almonds, walnuts, or both
- a few teaspoons of ground flax seed
- about a tablespoon of ch-ch-ch-chia seeds (no taste, huge heath perks)
- cocoa - I use a lot, kimball uses less
- a spoonful of peanut butter
- a shake of cinnamon
- soy milk - just enough to cover the oats

Don't stir it up or anything. Just throw it all in the jar and screw the lid on. Throw it in the fridge and enjoy it the next morning with fresh banana slices on top! I've also eaten it after 30 minutes in the fridge, and it's just as good. It's perfect if you wake up, whip up a jarful, work out, and then you're good to go! It should be perfect.

The above recipe is the one we love and use, and it's just what we have but you can do/add all sorts of different things. I think it would be good to keep the base as oats, milk of any variety, and yogurt or kefir (if you can stomach it), but then add any nut butter, raisins, vanilla, nutmeg, any other nuts or spices you wish to try, honey or agave, fruit is a dream on it, too! The first one I ate had blueberries and raspberries. I've just been having bananas on mine lately, but berries are superb! Mango, peaches, or even apple cinnamon would be great (add applesauce)! They really are a blank canvas.

A note on the jars - I'm a little surprised by what seems to be a trend lately of using mason jars for everything. I really don't get it. Isn't it just as easy (and cuter) to use cups? I think the occasional jar can be whimsical, pretty, and practical (like at Alisa's wedding reception - cutest little centerpieces!) but I really didn't want to go buy jars for these things. We used tupperware, cups and bowls for the first few attempts, and honestly, the clean up is a pain. Oats and yogurt do not yield to water, and only barely succumb to me scrubbing. I think the jars are great because, once used, you can put some warm water and dish soap in there and shake the junk off the sides. (Get wide-mouth jars in case you need to reach in there!). Our squat little 16oz jars are deceptively big, and just the perfect size and shape for this.

Try these! You will not be disappointed! Oh, and I must add, they are incredibly filling. I'm satisfied for hours after I eat one of these.

Also, if you make yours like mine, it should have about 300 calories. So, while its delicious and healthy, just be aware that the calories add up when you have grains and healthy fats. Use less of everything than you think you'll want, because it adds up quickly and before you know it you'll run out of jar space.

We've been eating them daily this week, and we aren't about to stop. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. these look so tasty, I love similar things for my brekkie so will have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made this recipe the other day and it was GREAT!

    ReplyDelete