Saturday, June 20, 2009

LA - day two

koorosh is from iran. 


he's lived in the states for about 15 years now. he is one of my favorite people on the planet, and i had the distinct honor of teaching him on my mission. it was so good to see him, and to see that he still had the book of mormon we gave him (complete with every little book mark we'd put in there for him to read certain chapters). 


He's the most kind and selfless person i've ever met, and he never ceases to amaze me with his devotion to what's right. he took me out for a lovely italian lunch and then we went to the marina, where we saw some beautiful boats, and lots of little crabs playing on the rocks. 


later in the day, i went over to the apartments where i used to live, which are right by the temple and the mission office/mission home. 


luckily, president and sister blackburn (my mission president and his wife, who are seriously like second parents to me) were home. it was so nice to catch up on life with them. they are amazing people.


it was kind of a strange day. i felt a little being in LA as a normal person, with no obligations to speak to everyone i saw about the gospel. it was weird being alone as well. i felt a little lost and like i just didn't have much of a purpose there. i wished for a minute that it was just the same, but then i had a realization. throughout my life, i plan on returning to my mission frequently, and that's how it will feel for the rest of my life. 


my mission was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and now i have to learn to see LA in a new light and enjoy the experience no matter how different it is from now on. 

*

2 comments:

  1. Aw, such a cute mission president couple.
    and such romantic shots of you and Derek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were an awesome missionary. Thanks for all you did. Fun seeing that you had a great trip. On one of your trips you'll have to stop by our place someday! You're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete