Thursday, July 19, 2012

Primary & how to save money on craft supplies

Kimball and I, as I have mentioned before, teach primary in our ward. I was asked this week to re-decorate the bulletin board in the primary room with the year's theme (Choose the Right). They're a little behind... It was supposed to be done in January. I agreed, and I had so much fun doing it. I maybe should have been an elementary school teacher ('cause that's all they do, right? Haha). It took way longer than I thought it would, but I didn't mind at all. I spent a ton of time at home cutting, taping, and measuring, but the hardest part was setting it up and attaching everything to the board, and making sure it was straight. That 10-foot roll of paper was especially a doozy! I was there for about two hours (should have brought Kimball along... an extra hand would've been nice). I like how it turned out (besides the free-handed CTR shield and letters... so tricky!) and I learned some valuable things along the way:

1. Xpedx is the best and cheapest place to get a lot of paper. That ten-foot roll of butcher paper only cost me $2.50.

2. Joann Fabric is also super a cheap source for craft and art supplies when you take advantage of their plentiful coupons. If you get their iPhone app (great if you're like me and can't handle hoards of paper coupons cluttering the house), it always has scannable coupons for "50% off a single item", or "20% off your entire purchase". I also learned that you can use more than one coupon in a transaction, contrary to what it says on the coupon. I bought three items there and used three 50% off coupons, and basically just got 50% off the whole purchase. I'm glad I asked if that was allowed. Don't ever pay full price there! I've also heard that Michael's will take Joann's coupons, but I haven't tried it. Anyway, even if you aren't in need of beads, poster paper, yarn, tape, or doll eyes, it's a great place to get baking supplies, muffin tins and other specialty pans, and even pretty vases, not to mention a huge selection of fabric! When it's all half-price it ends up being the cheapest option for most things, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment