Sunday, July 01, 2012

O, Canada.

I always feel like a bit of a traitor in church when we sing America the Beautiful, The Star Spangled Banner, and especially My Country 'Tis of Thee (which is just God Save the King/Queen with Americanized lyrics). I love America, and I'll happily sing those songs anywhere else, but singing them in church? Really? Seems weird to me. I've lived here for 11 years, and it's home to me, but I just can't feel 100% good about it. I bet Americans would have a hard time singing the patriotic songs of France were they to attend an LDS meeting there... Think about it. Anyway, it was especially weird today, since it's Canada Day. I stood, put my hand over my heart, and sang with the rest of them, but I made sure to sing "North America the Beautiful" and I may have quietly sung praises to the Queen instead of to a country that won't let me work. I have to honor my own roots.

And so I wish you all a happy Canada Day (our "4th of July"). I have growing sentiment for Canada, the older I get, and it makes me think I may never fully integrate and become an American citizen. We'll see, though. The green card's the first step.

Don't worry, I'll definitely be celebrating Independence Day... with the Beach Boys!

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting because I remember Alisa feeling that same way last year when she visited here, and she is an American!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel that way. But I must admit that I love the line in My Country Tis of Thee that says, " great God, our King." It makes the monarchy seem so silly and insignificant, which it can be at times.

    ReplyDelete