Monday, October 31, 2011

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (healthier...)

I've recently succumbed to the enticings of Pinterest. (Facebook really doesn't do it for me anymore). I don't recommend Pinterest if you're busy, but if you're looking for a great recipe, hairstyle, decorating idea, or tutorial of any sort, I'd most certainly bypass a google search and head over to the picture gallery of inspiration, especially if you, like me, are a visual person. I don't like trying recipes if I don't have a picture of the outcome. Because I want to help people like me, I've started photographing some of the food I make in an effort to help you understand how great these recipes are, which brings me to the next trend I'm on board with: Instagram. I'm loving the way these filters enhance my pictures. I admit, I've gone over board, and there are now few photos which haven't been enhanced in this way. So, laugh if you will, but in the meantime, enjoy these pictures and these recipes. Oh, and by all means, feel free to pin them! 

this recipe makes about 24 little cookies

I'm going to give you all a recipe that you all need. I don't think I've ever made pumpkin cookies before, and I'm so glad that the first attempt will likely be the recipe I use from here on out. These are the best pumpkin cookies I have ever eaten. Way better than store-bought. They aren't dry at all, and though they're sort of full of sugar, they are somewhat healthier than your average cookie. They have whole wheat flour, and contain no oil or butter! They are amazing. They're low in cholesterol and high in vitamin A (well, and high in sugar - omit the chocolate if that's a concern).


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
*recipe is adapted from this recipe.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a cookie sheet, or simplify your life and use parchment paper or a silpat baking mat.

Combine: 
1 cup canned pumpkin, 
1 shy cup white sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 egg

In a separate bowl, mix together:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
a pinch (about 1/8 tsp) of each: nutmeg, allspice, & cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix the wet and the dry ingredients and stir in
1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 teaspoon of milk to make a paste
1 tablespoon real vanilla extract

Mix well, and add
2 cups (1 package) semisweet chocolate chips (this was a LOT of chocolate - you could use less)


Drop spoonfuls of whichever size you choose onto your baking sheet, and bake until golden brown and firm in the middle. I baked the little cookies for about 12-14 minutes, and the huge second batch (seen below) baked for more like 25 minutes.  


And for those who are wisely trying to be more aware of what they're ingesting:

No comments:

Post a Comment